How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6819
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

If i am a foreigner living abroad, and I come to uk to have

Customer Question

Hi, if i am a foreigner living abroad, and I come to uk to have treatment, can i claim the taxes when going back to my country?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: live in egypt
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i paid for my treatment in full
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you.

Please clarify what taxes you are referring to.

Many thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
just the treatment invoice
Expert: replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Normally, foreigners can claim VAT paid on goodspurchased during visit to the UK when they take the goods out of the country.

This does not apply to goods consumed within the UK.

If you are referring to VAT paid on treatment charges, I'm afraid you won't be able to reclaim VAT paid.

There is no tax relief on medical treatment charges.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.