Adam Hunt
Adam Hunt, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA, FFA, FFTA
105330465

I got penalty notice £100 from Hmrc recently for late tax

I got penalty notice £100 from Hmrc recently for late tax return, I paid them but got charged for more as daily penalties ending with 1200 bill as I filed tax return in July where I was lateHere I need an advice to appeal if they can waive it off or any idea

Hi I am one of the experts. If you were required to submit self-assessment but you have not done that on time by 31/1/2019 then one received £100 penalty and afterwards £10 every day since 1st of May. If you were required to submit self-assessment and simply you have submitted it late then I am afraid it is not a good appeal but you can still try. You can write a letter and explain as to why return was not submitted on time and then also request for wave off from such penalties. If in case HMRC feels that penalty was un-fair then they will act accordingly.

Hope I have answered your question?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Where as here I didn’t earn income last year, in that consideration will they look into it

Yes if you have in the end submitted blank tax return then you should appeal against the penalty. It all depends on HMRC but these are the good circumstances for chance of success.

Hope I have answered your question?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Submitted 14155 as dividends as no tax to be paid
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can I submit it online as well

Yes but in this case this needed to be declared. It does not matter if you needed to pay any tax or not. If return needs to be submitted then you have to submit it unfortunately. But still appeal and then let's see. Good luck.

Please do accept answer if you are happy.

I normally write a letter to appeal. So you can do the same.

Please do accept answer if happy.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thanks

if you google out sa370 then this form can also be used for an appeal.

Please do not forget to rate me before you leave so that i will be grateful. Thank you