TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

We are a bakery, we received an order to make arancini (rice

We are a bakery, we received an order to make arancini (rice balls) from scratch, which we made and the chilled (froze) for delivery. We have been told by different people to add the VAT however the customer has complained bout it.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: we have been told that since is a made from scratch we need to add the vat

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

I know you do not wish to g against a customer BUT

The standard rate of VAT applies to certain items of food and drink which are excluded from the scope of the zero rate or the reduced rate, such as the following:

 Alcohol, bottled drinking water, soft drinks, juice extracted from, and other drinkable products derived from fruit or vegetables.

 Ice cream, frozen desserts, frozen yogurts and similar frozen products, and prepared mixes and powders for making any such products or similar products.

 Savoury products made from cereal or grain, pork scratchings, and similar products such as vegetable crisps, prawn crackers, poppadoms.

 Potato crisps/sticks/puffs and similar products made from potato, potato flour or potato starch.

 Popcorn, salted or roasted nuts.

 Biscuits and wafers wholly or partly covered or decorated with chocolate or similar product.

 All kinds of chocolates, sweets and similar confectionery

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
so we are right to add the vat

Yes

You are most welcome.
A 5 star positive rating would be appreciated

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thank you very much

You are most welcome.