How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16712
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I currently own four buy to let properties. Can I still

This answer was rated:

I currently own four buy to let properties. Can I still claim tax on the mortgage interest I pay
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: If I had I would not be asking you!!
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know how to set up a limited company to buy property

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I should add the current properties no longer have mortgages on them
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
which is why I am not sure of the tax situation. I have handled them on an amateur basis, but now want to dedicate my time to property as I am on the verge of retiring

The way that tax relief is given for let property mortgage interest has been changing since 6 April 2017 as you can see here. From 6 April 2020, tax relief will be given at a flat rate of 20%.

If you use a company to buy a property, the tax relief is not restricted. However, companies pay corporation tax at 19% (17% from 1 April 2020) which is less than the tax relief you get when you own properties personally. However, if you are a higher rate taxpayer, you will pay more tax on your rental profits than you would if the property was owned by a limited company. Transferring a property you own personally to a limited company will be treated as a disposal for CGT purposes so you may incur a CGT liability and not have the cash to pay it.

Setting up a company is simple. Read the information on the Companies House website here or use a property formation company to do the set up for you. The compliance responsibilities are more onerous but you could have an accountant prepare annual accounts for you and to deal with the tax office and Companies House.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very helpful. I am going to see a tax property expert next week but wanted to do some calculations this weekend

Thanks and good luck.