TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Are dividends received from the Santander Dividend

Are dividends received from the Santander Dividend Re-investment plan required to be entered in UK SA tax return? If so where are they to be entered . Dividends received less than £300.
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: 2018/19
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Hi. My name is Tony. I'm looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

They don't have to be disclosed "if your only foreign income is dividends under £300 in total and you do not have anything else to report" as it says here. I have never had an adequate explanation of what constitutes "you do not have anything else to report" so I have always disclosed them in client's tax returns especially if they are higher rate taxpayers in which case they may have more tax to pay even allowing for the foreign tax.. I ask myself, what do HMRC mean by "anything else", any other income at all or any other foreign income? The notes here suggest you should disclose them.

Disclose the dividends in Section A on page F2 of the SA106 Foreign pages here if you decide to disclose them at all.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.