taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I want to ask what legal status shall I apply for. My

Hello,I want to ask what legal status shall I apply for.My situation is a bit unconventional, that is why I am confused.
I am Romanian and I have studied my master in London. After this, I have collaborated with different companies, and I have been paid for the job, without a contract. I do have a national insurance number, but I didn't pay any taxes, as the income I received was not very much.
I support my life in London with personal resources and help from home.I want to know, what is the best way to be in this situation?
To apply for self employ, to go on my own and declare somehow the income I'm making?
I don t understand very well the system you have in here.Than you

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

If you are working for different organisations and being paid gross amount without deduction of tax, you should register for self assessment as self employed.

You would be issued a UTR (Unique tax reference) number and this would enable you to file your tax returns and ensure you pay the correct tax.

You can register for self assessment as self employed here

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-self-employed

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello, thank you for your response. What if it's not a gross amount of money, and its under 5000 pounds, or even 11.000 pounds/ year?

Thank you for your reply.

As a taxpayer you are entitled to tax free personal allowance of £12,500 in the current tax year. If your earnings are below the tax free allowance there is no tax payable. Non disclosure of income could result in fines and penalties.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** have to be registered as self-employed, even if I don't reach the 12,500 pounds? Or if I know I won't do that number I don't have to do anything?

Thank you for reply.

You need to register for self assessment as self employed even though your income is less than the tax free personal allowance.

I hope this is helpfula answers your question.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave, to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer today.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I need to keep some receipts, or how does this self-employment work?

Thank you for your reply.

You need receipts to support your expenses.

Once you have registered for self assessment as self employed, you would be expected to file a tax return each year. You would report your income and expenses relating to your self employment in the income section self employment. Your tax would be based on reported profits less tax free personal allowance.

I have answered all questions raised by you.

I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer.

Many thanks.

Hi there
Just checking to see if you need further clarification/information or I have answered your question.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello, thank you for your answer.
What expenses get into self-employment expenses category? Rent, bills, travel...Im sorry, but I'm not from this country, therefore I want to understand exactly how the system works.
And if I need to be registered even if I produce small incomes here and there.Thank you and I appreciate your patience

Thank you for your reply.

If you are self employed in the UK, you need to regsiter for self assessment as self employed with HMRC. You may only have small incomes here and there but this is taxable income.

What expenses you can deduct from your self employed income depends on the nature of business and where you carry out your business from. As a general rule, all expenses are deductible provided they are incurred wholly and exclusively for the purpose of your business.

Here is an article you would find helpful. It covers tax allowable expenses.

https://www.raymondbenn.co.uk/services/businesses/detailed-list-of-tax-allowable-expenses

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
One last question:
What are the consequences if you are not registered in any how.Thank you

Thank you for your reply.

Tax evasion has consequences

Generally, a person is not considered to be guilty of tax evasion unless the failure to pay is deemed intentional. Tax evasion occurs when a person or business illegally avoids paying their tax liability, which is a criminal charge that's subject to penalties and fines.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much for your patience and help
all the best

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.