taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I want to ask what legal status shall I apply for. My

Customer Question

Hello,I want to ask what legal status shall I apply for.My situation is a bit unconventional, that is why I am confused.
I am Romanian and I have studied my master in London. After this, I have collaborated with different companies, and I have been paid for the job, without a contract. I do have a national insurance number, but I didn't pay any taxes, as the income I received was not very much.
I support my life in London with personal resources and help from home.I want to know, what is the best way to be in this situation?
To apply for self employ, to go on my own and declare somehow the income I'm making?
I don t understand very well the system you have in here.Than you
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 13 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

If you are working for different organisations and being paid gross amount without deduction of tax, you should register for self assessment as self employed.

You would be issued a UTR (Unique tax reference) number and this would enable you to file your tax returns and ensure you pay the correct tax.

You can register for self assessment as self employed here

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-self-employed

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello, thank you for your response. What if it's not a gross amount of money, and its under 5000 pounds, or even 11.000 pounds/ year?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for your reply.

As a taxpayer you are entitled to tax free personal allowance of £12,500 in the current tax year. If your earnings are below the tax free allowance there is no tax payable. Non disclosure of income could result in fines and penalties.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** have to be registered as self-employed, even if I don't reach the 12,500 pounds? Or if I know I won't do that number I don't have to do anything?

Thank you for reply.

You need to register for self assessment as self employed even though your income is less than the tax free personal allowance.

I hope this is helpfula answers your question.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave, to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer today.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you, and do I need to keep some receipts, or how does this self-employment work?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You need receipts to support your expenses.

Once you have registered for self assessment as self employed, you would be expected to file a tax return each year. You would report your income and expenses relating to your self employment in the income section self employment. Your tax would be based on reported profits less tax free personal allowance.

I have answered all questions raised by you.

I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer.

Many thanks.

Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 9 days ago.

Hi there
Just checking to see if you need further clarification/information or I have answered your question.