TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am a retired teacher. Since September 2018, I have been

Customer Question

hello, I am a retired teacher. Since September 2018, I have been helping a small independent school out with some education consultancy on an adhoc basis. I believe I have to do my first self assessment for the 2018/2019 tax year bu 31st january. I was trying to work out if i have any allowable expenses to take off my tax liability.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: not sure really, this is my forst tome in this situation
Expert:  TonyTax replied 9 days ago.

Hi. My name is Tony. I'm looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 9 days ago.

What exactly do you do and where do you do it?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I support the headteacher in the main with devising and putting into place, policies and procedures. I occasionally do staff training and even teach some lessons sometimes.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I travel to the school from home - it's about 20 minutes away.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 9 days ago.

You cannot claim for travel to a fixed place of work whether you are employed or self-employed. You could claim for professional teaching subscriptions if you maintained them after you retired. You could claim for some home light and heat expenses if you did some work from home but the claim would be very small.

Most employees can claim very few expenses. Self-employed people can claim more as shown on the tax return self-employed pages here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 8 days ago.

Hi again.

I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions. If not, would you mind rating my answer so that I get credited for my work.