taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Masonic Lodges are generally not registered as charities but

Masonic Lodges are generally not registered as charities but prepare income and expenditure accounts showing surplus not profit, they do not submit tax returns generally. Should any interest earned on savings or benevolent fund accounts be declared via a corporation tax return and tax paid accordingly ?
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: As an example let's say 2017
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I believe generally Lodges do not make returns but the question is should they?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Interest earned on bank current and deposit accounts is technically subject to corporation tax, but HMRC have indicated that they will not generally attempt to collect tax on small club type accounts where small amounts of interest are the only taxable amounts. If you are submitting a corporation tax return and paying tax it would be worthwhile asking for concessionary treatment to be applied. Banks and Building Societies should be paying interest gross and it may be worthwhile checking to ensure that they are.

If your lodge is not filing annual returns and interest received is the only taxable amount then there is no need to file a return. Corporation tax returns are due for organistations that are limited by shares or guarantee.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Your reward of a generous bonus is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes