How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7111
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I think I have to do my UK tax return for April 2018-2019

Customer Question

Hi I think I have to do my UK tax return for April 2018-2019 I've worked in Germany and already taxed my income there but also had a very small UK income of self-employment
JA: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: sole trader
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yeah, I'm just really confused as to if I have to file a tax return and how I should do it and what I have to look out for. I already got advice from an accountant, who said I wouldnt have to tax my german income here as well, but now I'm afraid that isnt true
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.
Many thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the situation is that I'm afraid that I have to tax my German income AGAIN in the UK now. I've been registered as a resident in Germany during the tax years of April 2018-2019, and worked in Germany and taxed that income there as well. However, I also had a boyfriend in the UK so also spent some time in the UK and had a small income from a website project (1250 £ )
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
had been registered as soletrader for that in the UK
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
where I was building my business. For this tax year now I went fully self employed and deregistered in Germany to be a full resident here in the UK
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Now I'm scared that I have to tax my German income (around 24k £ for the year) again now that I do my self assessment tax return
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Which might be 5-10k I guess?!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Last year in April I paid an accountant in the UK to advice me and she told me I was all ok because of the double tax treaty. But now I researched and it doesn't seem to be that clear and easy at all :(
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Like I might still have to pay the tax and then I can only claim it back afterwards and then I might still have to pay it
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
now I basically don't know how to do my tax return. Should I just claim to be a non resident, as I was registered and working in Germany, and do a tax return only for the 1250 £ I earned that year?
Expert: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

If you were UK resident for tax purposes in tax year 2018-19, then you are taxed on your worldwide income on arising basis and you should report all income to HMRC. You claim foreign tax credit relief for tax suffered in Germany against your UK tax payable under double taxation agreement between the two countries.

Foreign tax paid is shown under Foreign section of the tax return.

More information on this can be found here

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and letme know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Expert: replied 8 months ago.

Hi there

Just checking to see if you need further clarification/information or I have answered your question.
If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave, to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer today.