How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14901
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I did claim as marriage allowance tax and now i have to pay

Customer Question

i did claim as marriage allowance tax and now i have to pay a lot of taxes. Could i cancel the request for all the previous years to avoid to pay?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, thanks
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 11 days ago.
Yes just advise HMRC but nite if the allowance has been awarded then your wife will then owe tax once then allowances are taken back from her- thanks Sam
Expert:  Sam replied 11 days ago.
Note not nite- apologies - thanks Sam
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you Sam for your answer. I claimed the marriage allowance on november the 12th and i have received the letter about owe taxes 3 days after so maybe i can ask to cancel all?i have called HMRC today to cancel all but the person told me he didn't know if i could cancel all the marriage allowance claim, he told me i will receive a letter about that. I wrote that because probably the cheque is not on the way yet so i can cancel, maybe. I would like to write a mail to cancel too. How can i write in the mail to show HMRC i am on time to cancel all yet? Thank you in advance for your answer
Expert:  Sam replied 9 days ago.

You may be able to do that is they have not actioned the request to make the transfer - but you will need to write and there is no timeline here - its just hoping your request to cancel arrives before they action the claim made - Thanks Sam