taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

My son started work on a elf employed basis in July 2018 but

My son started work on a elf employed basis in July 2018 but hasn’t registered as self employed with HMRC. He’s ready to do a self assessment form for 2018-2019 in January. Will he have to pay a penalty for not registering
JA: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: Sole proprietor I assume . He’s a courier
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that’s it thanks

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Provided your son reports income from self employment on his self assessment tax return for 2018-19 before 31 Jan 2020 there would be no penalties to pay. He would have reported the income in the correct tax year and on time.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars a tthe top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.