Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Please would you be so kind to advise me on the following:

Customer Question

Hello, please would you be so kind to advise me on the following: From January 2018 I've agreed to start working as a carer for an autistic girl, usually 1 day a week. Her mother offered me a flat rate of £10/h and on top of that paying my tax and NI contribution. (apparently she pays this from the government allowance she receives for her daughter). Unfortunately, this was a verbal agreement only and despite asking, I've never got any payslips or P60. I have now learned how to view my personal account on the Gov.uk website and I have found some strange amounts entered as payment (very different from what I have received) and very worrying tax entries. I start to worry that should I find out that something isn't right, I may end up owning tax or other problems as I have no proof of the actual payment I have received. Please, what would be the most wise course of action? Shall I contact HMIR?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: no
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: I don't know. It's a family.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well, I don't know what are the necessary details he / she may need to know. I'm not talking about a traditional work place.this is a family who employs people as carers for their daughter.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 9 days ago.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello, I'm ok waiting.
Expert:  Sam replied 8 days ago.

Ask HMRC to investigate - it sounds like they were just getting very confused by trying to pay your tax and National Insurance so the figures would not tally - but write to HMRC and ask them to look into this and your concerns as you had no payslips or P60- they can then check the figures for you - Thanks Sam