How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15467
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Please would you be so kind to advise me on the following:

Customer Question

Hello, please would you be so kind to advise me on the following: From January 2018 I've agreed to start working as a carer for an autistic girl, usually 1 day a week. Her mother offered me a flat rate of £10/h and on top of that paying my tax and NI contribution. (apparently she pays this from the government allowance she receives for her daughter). Unfortunately, this was a verbal agreement only and despite asking, I've never got any payslips or P60. I have now learned how to view my personal account on the website and I have found some strange amounts entered as payment (very different from what I have received) and very worrying tax entries. I start to worry that should I find out that something isn't right, I may end up owning tax or other problems as I have no proof of the actual payment I have received. Please, what would be the most wise course of action? Shall I contact HMIR?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: no
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: I don't know. It's a family.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well, I don't know what are the necessary details he / she may need to know. I'm not talking about a traditional work place.this is a family who employs people as carers for their daughter.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 months ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I'm ok waiting.
Expert:  Sam replied 7 months ago.

Ask HMRC to investigate - it sounds like they were just getting very confused by trying to pay your tax and National Insurance so the figures would not tally - but write to HMRC and ask them to look into this and your concerns as you had no payslips or P60- they can then check the figures for you - Thanks Sam

Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.

Hi Can I advise or assist further? Thanks Sam