How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16712
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I hope you have had a good christmas and new year. I sold my

This answer was rated:

Good morning Tony, it's me again :) I hope you have had a good christmas and new year.I sold my share of our house to my ex-husband in December. Bearing in mind that I have previously sold a share of our apartment to him, do I need to pay Capital Gains Tax on this? I did not need to on the apartment, as advised by you.Please let me know what details you will need in order for us to file the claim. Thank you.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Jjust Answer and pleased to be able gto help you with youjr question.

Yes, if it was not your sole or ,main domestic residence.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not living in the uk anymore. Also, I requested that the same person I communicated with last time would help me, so that I would not have to explain my situation again
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there any way that I can get them to help me with this?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Im sorry, but I did not pay £47 to get this kind of answer. Last time, the expert Actually helped me fill out the whole form that I needed to submit
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The property which was bought out by my ex husband was the only property which I owned at the time when he bought me out. What kind of form do I need to fill in, what information do i need to provide? How do I calculate how much I owe if I do? Is there any way that i can find this out ASAP? I need to submit my forms before 19th January to HMRC. Thank you

Then you merely tell HMRC that you have disposed of your sole or main domestic residence.

When did you leave the UK?

Can you give me a detailed history of your ownership of the property. date of purchase, date of sale, your occupation period, the cost of the property and what you sold your share for. Did you own 50%?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I left uk in 2013, we bought it in September 2008. I sold my share to my ex husband in December 2019. He still lives there. We bought the property for 250k. I got £74920.80 and I paid £750 legal fees. I did own 50%


How much was the property worth in April 2015?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
163;340,400 according to zoopla

I will take a look at this tomorrow. There is quite a lot of work involved so I may need to make a premium service offer for your consideration.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What does that mean?

It means I will have to charge a higher fee.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How much will that be and what will I get for that?

Were you non-UK resident when the property was sold in December 2019?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Correct, I was not living in the UK when it was sold.

In that case, there is work involved in calculating the gain, choosing which of three methods to use and completing the non-resident CGT return and the tax due.

January is my busiest month of the tax season as the deadline for submission of 2019 tax returns is 31 Janaury. Therefore, my time is limited. I would charge a regular client of mine £250 for this type of work but as I don't have to account for overheads, I would anticipate a further fee of £$75 of which I would get half.

If I make the offer and you accept it I may have more questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I understand that January is busy for you, please do note that I have a deadline of 30 days from sale in which I have to submit my CGT form, which would bring us to 19th January. Is that a problem for us to do in time? If not, please let me know how I can make the payment for us to proceed. Thank you ever so much in advance for all your help, which I must say is of excellent quality.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Having filled out the online form, it comes to £757.62 through the straight line apportionment method. How can I send you a copy of the answers to my questions
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have attached it here.

Let me take a look at your summary.

I've reviewed the summary and re-entered the figures in my own version so I could see the three options. It seems to seems to me that you are on top of this. All you need to do is complete the NR CGT return. Have a go at that and I'll be happy to help with no extra charge.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you ever so much Tony. So what you're saying is i should basically submit the form as it is?

Have you completed the NR CGT return?

You need to attach the gain calculation to it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's the form on the page here right? Where do I get my HMRC reference number from? Also, what do I enter in all these fields (attached screenshot)

The 10 digit UTR is on the top left of your page 1 of your tax return.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I dont have one.

Did we not do a tax return for you before?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
this is the title of the email previously NRCGT_Return (KMM63529770I15977L0KM) << is it the KMM635........ number? Also, will it make a difference that I have sold a property to him before?

Have you ever completed a self-assessment tax return?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I have not
But the reference number above is what I used to submit the CGT form last time

That's for a different NRCGT return so you don't use that.

As you have no UTR put None.

It makes no difference if you sold a property to your ex-husband before.

I will get back to you on the gain figure to disclose in the second box.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much.

The figure is £4,209.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Does that go in the field with an * and leave the rest blank?

I don't follow. Why would you put a star next to a figure?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did you see the cgtform screenshot which I send above? 6 messages up

The gain goes in the second box as I said before.

The tax figure of £757.62 goes in the seventh box.

Hi again.

I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions. If not, would you mind rating my answer so that I get credited for my work.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you tony. I submitted my claim this morning. Is it ok to keep this thread open until they get back to me, in case there is something?

You can still ask follow up questions here after you accept an answer.

TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16712
Experience: Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you so much for all of your help