How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8791
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I exported funds to buy a house in South Africa I am selling

Customer Question

I exported funds to buy a house in South Africa
I am selling and reimporting the funds to the UK
Because of the exchange rate it will be a similar amount in sterling but almost double in rand.
Do I have to pay @ CGT on any gain in SA even though in sterling it is the same amount?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you.

Please clarify for me

- is your question concerning CGT in the UK or in South Africa as I can only advise on tax implications as far as UK tax matters.
Many thanks