bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Im in a sticky spot because I accidentally requested to be

Hi im in a sticky spot because I accidentally requested to be self assessed two years ago when I was working for delivroo in London. I thought I'd stopped my application as i did not activate my self assessment account on yougov with the code they sent me in the post but turns out the account has been active anyway. I stopped my application as i did not deem it necessary considering the money i was earning from it. They've been sending me increasing fines for two years for late filing but not getting to me as i moved house and i only just got word of it. I have reviewed my earnings from deliveroo for that period and they were £1285, only £285 over the allow £1000 self employed earnings one does not have to declare. I need help on how to best approach reducing my fine? Perhaps if i should ask to be withdrawn from self assessment for that period and then announce that extra £285?
JA: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: sole proprietor
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

I would suggest that that is the solution and also ask for the penalties to be refunded as there was no requirement to self assess anyway.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you very much for your response. Under what exactly was there no requirement for self assessment? The small amount of money that i earned or the fact that i didnt activate my account?

Because you were under the limit set by HMRC.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
but is not the limit set by HMRC £1000? I earned £1285 so even though a small amount over, still over and legally requires to be announced

Well,in that case you must self assess.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** offer any advice besides explaining my situation in an appeal that may increase my chances of getting my fine reduced?

I would play the daft laddie. If you do declare the missing income and pay the tax due HMRC may well cancel the penalties anyway.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks, I'll still put in the appeal though
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your help

Exactly.

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Thank you for your support.