How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9020
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Im in a sticky spot because I accidentally requested to be

This answer was rated:

Hi im in a sticky spot because I accidentally requested to be self assessed two years ago when I was working for delivroo in London. I thought I'd stopped my application as i did not activate my self assessment account on yougov with the code they sent me in the post but turns out the account has been active anyway. I stopped my application as i did not deem it necessary considering the money i was earning from it. They've been sending me increasing fines for two years for late filing but not getting to me as i moved house and i only just got word of it. I have reviewed my earnings from deliveroo for that period and they were £1285, only £285 over the allow £1000 self employed earnings one does not have to declare. I need help on how to best approach reducing my fine? Perhaps if i should ask to be withdrawn from self assessment for that period and then announce that extra £285?
JA: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: sole proprietor
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

I would suggest that that is the solution and also ask for the penalties to be refunded as there was no requirement to self assess anyway.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you very much for your response. Under what exactly was there no requirement for self assessment? The small amount of money that i earned or the fact that i didnt activate my account?

Because you were under the limit set by HMRC.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
but is not the limit set by HMRC £1000? I earned £1285 so even though a small amount over, still over and legally requires to be announced

Well,in that case you must self assess.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** offer any advice besides explaining my situation in an appeal that may increase my chances of getting my fine reduced?

I would play the daft laddie. If you do declare the missing income and pay the tax due HMRC may well cancel the penalties anyway.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks, I'll still put in the appeal though
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your help


Delighted to have been of assistance.

Thank you for your support.