How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9016
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

How do you treat payment for a piece of poetry that has been

This answer was rated:

Hello how do you treat payment for a piece of poetry that has been commissioned.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: To clarify I have commissioned poets to write poetry and paid them I wish to know how to treat this expense

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

It would form part of your expense in employment.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello thank you, ***** go under "Cost of Sales?"
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ah I see, i'd treat it as if I were employing a freelancer. So it's not a cost of sale but a claimable expense?

Treat it whichever heading you prefer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Correct me if I'm wrong,
but if I put it as a "cost of sale" this isn't a claimable expense right?

A cost of sale is one of the claimable expenses.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK Thank you. I'm looking over my 2012-2016 accounts when I used an accountant for my Self Assessment. Would there be any reason why they wouldnt have included Cost of Sales in my expences during those years..?
They included the following as expenses but didn't include Cost of Sales in the Allowable Expences box on my tax return...Use of home allowance
Post and stationery
Books, journals, subscriptions Repairs and renewals
Computer costs

I cannot possibly comment, but would tend to employ an accountant with a greater knowledge of profit and loss accounting than is currently being displayed.

bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.