taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Hopefully this is an easy question... I'm filing in my

Hi! Hopefully this is an easy question... I'm filing in my personal income tax return at the moment and cant work out whether in "UK tax taken off" from employment I should put just PAYE or PAYE + NICs?
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: 2017/18 and 2018/19
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm also getting a student loan underpayment in HMRCs calculation for 2017/18 because my student loan was fully repaid in the year (I overpaid and received a rebate for the balance). I think they are calculating the amount that should have been paid during the year and deducted what was paid to come up with a further payment that isnt due. How can I remove this? Through an adjustment?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks a lot. Looking forward to hearing from you shortly! Many thanks

When completing employment section of tax return, you should should gross pay and tax deducted information from your P60 form.

Your tax free personal allowance covers tax only and NIC is not taken into account.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars atthe top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

You should leave the student loan repayment section blank if there were no student loan repayments due/paid and make reference to it in Any other information box.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you - helpful answers! Definitely getting there. One last question - how do I take account of my tax code (939L) for 2017/18 when filing my tax return? I assume that as earning were £138,304 that all personal allowance is removed (£1 for every £2 above £100k) irrespective of what my tax code is (as this is just a guide for calculating tax payable on salaries during the year)?

My employer have included a personal allowance of £9,399 throughout the year (tax code 939L) - I think this is wrong though and as a result I will owe additional tax at 40% on this amount as a result (totaling £3,759.60)?

Thank you for your reply.

As your earnings were well above the threshold whereby you lose your tax free personal allowance. In your case tax code is academic as in reality you are not entitled to any tax free income.

You would owe what the tax calculator shows once you have completed all sections of your tax return.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer today.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.