taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I am a PCO driver and will be doing my own self assessment.

I am a PCO driver and will be doing my own self assessment. Do I claim all of my fuel receipts as expenses or does HMRC expect me to calculate a percentage of these for personal use? Also, can you advise on what I can claim for dead mileage and how I do this?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just also to confirm, can I claim the full car insurance as expenses?thanks

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

When it comes to expenses that could have an element of personal use, one has to be reasonable in your approach. If you have a log of private mileage, that is helpful. If you don't then I suggest you start having a diary where you log in private use mileage and this can be used to work out percentage for business and private use with better accuracy.

I suggest you allow for 10%-15% for private use and consider up to 85% of total motor expenses as business to include fuel, repairs, insurance, road tax and capital allowance.

As far as dead mileage is concerned, if you are treating 85% of expenses as business then it covers both engaged and dead mileage. Driving without customer on return journey is still business.

HMRC appear to accept dead mileage as 52-53%.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, thank you very for this information. It is very helpful.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.