How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8707
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have a question regarding dual taxation in Australia and

This answer was rated:

I have a question regarding dual taxation in Australia and the UK
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: Yes, and I am looking for confirmation as to whether their view is correct. I have been happy with their tax accounting but they are not very familiar with expat/overseas taxation.
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: do you want me to summarise my specific question? thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am from the UK and travelled over to work in Australia for 18 months until August 2018. My family returned to the UK in June 2018 and I stayed for a further two months whilst completing my contract out there. During that time, I house-watched while friends were on holiday and I stayed with friends. My accountant advises me that because I did this (rather than continuing to rent a property out there) I am resident in the UK for tax on earned income in Australia during my last two months while my family lived in the UK in our house in the UK. Is this correct? Thanks

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

The UK and Oz have a Double Taxation Treaty which precludes the same income stream being taxed in both jurisdictions. Tax deducted in Australia is allowed as a tax credit against your UK liability on the same income stream. The Treaty does not protect you from differences in rates of taxation.

When you first went to Oz did you send a Form P85 to HMRC.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I didn't. My accountant over there and here in UK didn't advise me that this was necessary.

From long experience I think you will find it easier to ring me. I am on 01750 725420.

Thank you for your support.