How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16712
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I invested 10000 under the EIS in a company which went into

This answer was rated:

I invested 10000 under the EIS in a company which went into liquidation. Can I claim the loss against income tax?
JA: What are the assets or property for this capital loss?
Customer: the assets were shares but the company isnow in liquidation with no assets
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
its unlisted shares. How would I list disposal proceeds if the company is liquidated as HMRC do not allow 0

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Is the company in liquidation or has it been dissolved? When did the shares become worthless?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
on 8 jan this year the company went into liquidation

Do you complete annual tax returns? Did you claim income tax relief for the original investment?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
albion tea ltd
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sorry, it dissolved on 8 jan this year


You need to wait for the 2020 tax return to be issued along with the 2019/20 SA108 capital gains pages. The 2018/19 SA108 capital gains pages are here along with guidance notes here. The section you will complete is labelled "Unlisted shares and securities". You can claim income tax relief for 2019/20 or 2018/19 or a combination of the two. If you claimed tax relief for the original investment you need to reduce the loss by the amount of the tax relief you had. Set out how you arrived at the loss in the notes space at the end of the SA108 pages.

If you don't complete tax returns you will need to make the loss claim in writing.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi thanks Tony. I have a couple of follow up questions
1. why can't I claim this in this years return i.e. apr 2018 to apr 2019 as it fell within this period.
2. i've had a look under the 'unlisted shares and securities' but have a problem as it doesn't allow me to list the disposal proceeds as 0, which I assume it should be as I haven't got any money back
3. Whilst these are EIS shares I never claimed for tax relief for the original investment. Can this still be claimed?

1 The company was dissolved in 2019/20.

2 I have used £0 in that box many times. Try leaving it blank.

3 You can make an income tax relief claim for up to 5 years after the first 31 January following the original investment. You should have been given an EIS3 certificate with the company tax details on it after you invested.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
many thanks for the help