TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am checking the SRT for UK domicile documentation, and

Hi, I am checking the SRT for UK domicile documentation, and have a question about 'Exceptional Circumstances'. We are resident in UAE. My wife visited UK last June for a planned 7 days, but suffered a serious injury which required her to stay in the UK for 56 days. I also flew back here to be with her as she needed care after coming out of hospital, and could not travel. I was also therefore in the UK for around the same period. We do not have any property here so we had to stay in temporary accommodation for this period. I have checked the examples, and can see that her stay does appear to qualify as exception, but I cant see anything specific to my situation as a 'carer' - are you able to clarify? Thanks, ***** *****
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

There may also be limited situations where an individual who needs to stay in the UK to deal with a sudden or life threatening illness or injury to a spouse, person who they are living with as husband and wife, civil partner or dependent child; can have those days spent in the UK ignored under the SRT, subject to the 60 day limit.

See https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/residence-domicile-and-remittance-basis/rdrm13240

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
as this was a 'sudden' injury that then prevented her from travelling for 50 days (she broke both bones in her right wrist, and had an external fixator attached), and as a consequence of her injury she needed 24/7 care, then my stay would qualify as exceptional?

Yes

Hope she recovered.

You are most welcome

A 5 star positive rating would be appreciated

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK thank you, ***** ***** final question, are you aware of any examples in the HMRC that cover this specific (carer) example? I couldn't find any.

Just what I sent you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK great thank you so much for your help

You are most welcome