How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8956
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have a question relating to being self employed: I work

This answer was rated:

Hi there, I have a question relating to being self employed: I work from home full time (using 1 room of the property 95%) and have recently moved home. Could any of the moving costs incurred qualify as tax deductable?
JA: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: I'm a Sole proprietor (sold trader) sorry sole trader
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: my work is clerical (office based). Thanks :-)

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able tp help you with your question.

I assume that the one room you use for business is % of the whole property?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, thanks for the swift response. Yes - in my new property I work out the percentage of the usage based on the amount of rooms in the property (25%) but as I only use the room 95% of the time for business I work out the proportion of mortgage interest/council tax etc as 23.75%.. I was wondering if the actual costs of moving home also qualify in this way?

Well,you could try it on, but expect to be knocked back. It is pushing the boundaries a little far.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks - I couldn't find any information about this scenario at all. So your advice would be to try it or not to bother? I only fill the simple return out as earn around £55k pa

It's always worth a try.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks for the advice. All the best

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Thank you for your support.