How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8768
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a fashion retailer who buys clothing to sell in my shop

This answer was rated:

I am a fashion retailer who buys clothing to sell in my shop in England. Have i paid Italian VAT? Have i paid VAT at all? If i have can i claim it back in my after sales VAT return? If not why not?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: My accountant, but I don’t understand why he thinks that i have paid Italian VAT (T.V.A) at a higher rate than ours (23%) and we cant claim it back?
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Inter EU sales are standard rated supplies and input tax from EU States can be reclaimed on your quarterly returns.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please can you explain what a 'standard rated supply' is? If pu have bought goods from Italy to sell in the UK, can I reclaim the tax I have paid? Have I even paid tax in Italy? Thank you, Gemma

You can reclaim the VAT you paid to your Italian supplier.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.