bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am a fashion retailer who buys clothing to sell in my shop

Customer Question

I am a fashion retailer who buys clothing to sell in my shop in England. Have i paid Italian VAT? Have i paid VAT at all? If i have can i claim it back in my after sales VAT return? If not why not?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: My accountant, but I don’t understand why he thinks that i have paid Italian VAT (T.V.A) at a higher rate than ours (23%) and we cant claim it back?
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 days ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Inter EU sales are standard rated supplies and input tax from EU States can be reclaimed on your quarterly returns.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Please can you explain what a 'standard rated supply' is? If pu have bought goods from Italy to sell in the UK, can I reclaim the tax I have paid? Have I even paid tax in Italy? Thank you, Gemma

You can reclaim the VAT you paid to your Italian supplier.