taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have a UK resident customer who has a buy to let property

I have a UK resident customer who has a buy to let property in Switzerland.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: S
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: did not manage to finish the question. This customer has a Swiss loan and pays interest on it which we claim against rental income. I believe that for the year to 5th April 2019 only 50% of this interest can be deducted for higher rate relief and the other 50% should have a 20% tax credit Is that correct?
JA: Which tax year is the tax credit for?
Customer: As I said for the year to 5th April 2019

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

You are correct in your understanding that 50% of mortgage interest is allowable against rental income and the remainder 50% would have restricted relief at 20% when filing rental income on UK tax return.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The software that I am using is denying the 20% relief on the disallowed 50%. I do not think that is right but they are generally right in what they do. Maybe a complication is that the tax payer also has a UK based buy to let property supported by a loan, The disallowed 50% of this has been admitted by the software. Is there something different t with foreign properties

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

My pleasure...