taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I am a sole trader and also on PAYE. WIth a total income of

Hi. I am a sole trader and also on PAYE. WIth a total income of £11,500 aprox. We also get tax credits. I want to set up a second business... Should I do it as a sole trader again (but will that affect my tax credits) or should I set up as a Limited company so I can let the the company grow before I take any kind of income from it? What is most cost affective..
JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit. Which tax year is the tax credit for?
Customer: this year
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thanks

It does not make a difference whether you trade as a sole trader or as a LTD company if you need the funds to support your income.

If you trade as a sole trader then profit shown on self assessment would be taken into account when assessing what you can claim.

If you trade as a LTD company then your salary and any dividends you take from the company will be considered. The advantage of running business as a LTD company is that you could defer or suspend dividends if you didn't want additional funds to supplement your income.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
So if I expect my new company to make £4000 profit. would it be better to set up as a limited company as there would be no corporation tax. and I could defer any salary or dividends.
would the cost of filing a return for company outweigh the savings of being LTD

Thank you for your reply.

Company profits would attract corporation tax at 19% as there is no tax free allowance for companies.

There are costs associated with filing of company accounts. You should look at a company scenario as medium to long term.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i really dont know what to do?!

Thank you for your reply.

Either way, income would be taxed whether you trade as a LTD company or a sole trader.

As LTD company you only have to declare salary/dividend you draw from company on your tax return, whereas as sole trader you report profits from self employment on your tax return whether you draw any money fom the business or not.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave, to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer today.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.