taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I started a small second job last year and I'm filling the

I started a small second job last year and I'm filling the self assessment tax return online (UK).The turnover from the fiscal year (6 Apr 2018 to 5 Apr 2019) was below £1000 of Trading Income Allowance. Accordingly, I answer No to the question "Was your turnover more than £1,000 in total from all self-employments?", and I'm pretty sure about this.Now, the second job involves clients outside of the UK, and they pay into my UK PayPal account or my foreign Bank account.How should I answer to the question "If you received any foreign income, do you need to complete the foreign section?"It appears that my income from the second job corresponds to the condition "income or benefits from a person abroad or a non-resident company or trust (including a UK trust that has either been, or has received, income from, a non-resident trust)". If it doesm, I should answer YES, but then I'm claiming the income that should be covered by Trading Income Allowance. Hypothetically, if I had an income of over £1000, then I would end up taxed twice for the same amount.Thanks for your advice.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can wait. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

You appear to be self employed with income from customers based in the UK and abroad.

You should complete self employment section of the tax return and not foreign section as your business is UK based.

In the foreign section you report and interest you may earn from money in foreign banks.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the reply.
Yes, I'm self employed, but No, my customers are all abroad (outside of the UK); this is important not to break the Tier2 visa restriction of second jobs in the UK.
But I hope that your answer still holds true for my case?

Thank you for your reply.

If you are performimg your business from a base in the UK, you declare income from self employment in UK section of self employed pages.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Experience: FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks a lot.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.