How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15585
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have been asked to fill in my first UK Tax Return for

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have been asked to fill in my first UK Tax Return for 2018/19, because my salary has crept slightly over 50,000 pounds and my wife receives child benefits. It's my only source of income.
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: 2018/2019
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly


So may I ask what your question is ? Thanks Sam

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Sam, thank you. I am anxious about filling in the 2018/19 Tax Return correctly, as it's my first. I received £50,732.89 gross for the tax year, while my partner received £1,788.80 in child benefit. How much should I need to pay for 2018/2019?


Thanks for your response - you can use the child benefit higher rate benefit calculator to work this out link here but based on your salary of £50732 it advises that you will owe if you have one child and no benefits attached to your employment and no savings or make any gift aid payments that you will owe £75

If the details I have used are incorrect then just go the calculator and put in the accurate details -



Sam and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you