How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9025
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I've just completed my self assessment and I have made a

This answer was rated:

I've just completed my self assessment and I have made a loss of £1,800 for a flat I rent out. I am not receiving any of this money back and I have to make a payment of £42

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

What is this 42 quid payment for? Do you have other income?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It says that I owe £42 in the view calculation section at the end but I can't work out how they have arrived at this figure. I am full time employed as well as renting this flat out.

Is there by chance a shortfall in your employment deductions or unpaid tax being recovered from earlier years?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not that I know of, I'm up to date and have had the same employer for years

You have not hone into higher rates of tax

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry is that a question?

Just a thought!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think I'm pretty close to the higher rates - do you know what wage that bracket starts at?


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm still under that even the rent from the flat added to my wage

It could well be that the tax tables become skewed that close to the higher rate point which may explain the position..

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It would only be around 42k - should that affect it?

It might.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there anything else it could be? I've double checked the form and I think it's all correct.

You could query the computation with HMRC.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've done that thank you

Pleased to have been of assistance.

Please be sokind as to rtae me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.