How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9024
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am looking for advice about offsetting travel to work

This answer was rated:

Hello Pearl
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: I am looking for advice about offsetting travel to work expenses against tax, I work inside IR 35 and have read on the gov tax site that travel expenses remain unchanged under IR35. I work for a company based in Leeds or London and travel to the customer in Sheffield to perform my duties. I have kept all receipts for fuel and parking and need to understand how I process these to offset. Hope you can help
JA: For which tax year do you need advice?
Customer: 2019 - 2020
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so!

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

For how long has this travel to Sheffield been going on?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I started this contract on the 27th of August 2019
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi I am okay with this method for now

Providing ot does not exceed 2 years Then the expense is allowable against tax. You would claim it as an expense against employment in your self assessment tax return.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay so I need to complete a tax return for these expenses, if this is the only way then I will have to do this..

Thank you for your support.

Does your company pay you for this Sheffield duty?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am employed through an agency who invoice Sheffield Council for my services

But do the agency reimburse you for the travel?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi sorry away from my desk, no I do not get reimbursed for travel or other

Then you have to claim this expense when you make tour self assessment tax return.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much for your help. I didn't want to get into the world of tax returns however if this ithe only way then I will bite the bullet. Thanks again

Unfortunately, it is necessary to get the relief.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks again

Pleased to have been able to help.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have another question on tax return if that is okay?

It should be the subject of another question.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My grandmother transferred her house to myself (as a grandchild) and 3 other grandchildren in c. 2003. She passed away Nov 2017. We then sold the property and each of each received a payment via the conveyancing solicitor (e.g it was not a single payment to one grandchild and then divided). We did not charge my nan rent from the period of the transfer to her death so no income was received to the grandchildren during this period.In these circumstances would the payment fall into Capital Gains Tax?
If so is the individual threshold £10k?
What happens if a payment is in excess of £10k?As the property was transferred/gifted to the grandchildren by a solicitor more than 7 years prior to her death do these circumstances mean no tax is payable?

No, but the value of the prorerty would be exposed to your relative's Inheritance tax (IHT) on decease.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would you explain that in lay mans terms please

As she remained in occupation the vsle of the dwelling would be included in her IHT computation.