How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8939
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am self employed, plus receive a UK State Pension, and I

This answer was rated:

I am self employed, plus receive a UK State Pension, and I also receive a Dutch state pension. No tax was paid in Holland. Do I need to file an additional Foreign Income section?
Assistant: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: I’m a full time live-in carer for elderly people, and as such classed self employed.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can’t think of anything else

Helo, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Yes, you do to declare your Dutch Pension.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. Yes, I do realise I have to declare my Dutch pension income, just not sure where. When I entered it on the foreign income section, it asked me about pension scheme tax relief. I have no tax relief. Then I read somewhere (but can’t remember where) that I should declare my Dutch pension income on my regular income sheet.
Sorry if I sound muddled, as I am not familiar with tax form speak.

Quite frankly I don't think it matters in the slightest where it is declared ;providing it is declared! It might be more convenient to aggregate it with yiue UK tate Pension which is taxable, but paid gross.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It certainly is much easier to declare it without the hassle of the confusing (to me) foreign section.
Thank you for your help and quick response.

Thank you for your excellent support.