How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 27412
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I bought a property in my son's name and sold it five years

This answer was rated:

I bought a property in my son's name and sold it five years later, the inland revenue are now looking into it and are looking to charge him capital gains tax, is this correct?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: At the moment none, he only received the letter by post yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.


They only see that he owned the property then sold, that is on the owner to report and pay CGT

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He was listed as the owner, he rented the property out, I thought because it was his first buy that he would not have to pay CGT

First buys are not exempt from CGT like stamp duty

He owes now

Unfortunately you were wrong and he owes

You are most welcome

A 5 star positive rating would be appreciated

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is my £44 being taken from my card??

I rejected any call. You are not charged unless an expert calls you

A 5 star positive rating would be appreciated so I am credited for my time.

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK thanks