How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8786
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have to repay sign in bonus to employer. Am I entitled to

This answer was rated:

hello, I have to repay sign in bonus to employer. Am I entitled to tax relief? Thank you. Svitlana
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No I haven't
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Was this sign in bonus originally taxed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it was
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but I am requested to repay net ammount

You can reclaim the tax paid on the bonus which you will do automatically as you only have to repay the net amount.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do I have to request proof of payment form my employer? Do I have to notify HMRC?

Unnecessary unless HMRC query the position which is most unlikely. Remember to get a receipt for the payment.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Thank you for your excellent support.