How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 27507
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Up to what amount may a child earn before being liable to

This answer was rated:

Up to what amount may a child earn before being liable to tax?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so; my 3 year-old granddaughter is seemingly developing a thriving career as a child model and I am worried that she may soon be liable to pay income tax!
JA: Which tax year is this for?
Customer: This current tax year ending April 2020.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

If the child is not in PAYE with the modeling then she will need to lodge a SELF ASSESSMENT if she earned more than £1,000

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She has earned well over this amount [I suspect somewhere in the region of £8 - 10,000 in this tax year]; what should be my next step? Her mother, my daughter, is a full-time mother, does not earn and, in effect, lives on benefits.

Her mother will need to assist the child in lodging

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does she simply have to register her with HMRC self-assessment and receive a UTR ?


You are most welcome

A 5 star positive rating would be appreciated

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you