taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I'm moving to Austrailia and will be renting out my UK

hi. I'm moving to Austrailia and will be renting out my UK property. I need to understand how I tell HMRC and what my tax obligations are
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: I cant get a consistent answer
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I am going in Feb but my wife is following in May (split tax years). How do we do self assessment tax forms while away and make sure we continue to do national insurance contributions to preserve pension etc
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: we will be renting our property out in March (hopefully) which will mean we need to do a tax return for 19/20 onwards

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok I’ll wait
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Please cancel request and do t call
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I did not see the charge rate

I was anwering your question when you made a request for phone call.

Do you still want a phone call please?

You need to do a few things for tax purposes..

When you leave or have left the country for Australia, you need to complete Form P85 so that the Tax office can bring your tax affairs up to date. You can complete P85 here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-leaving-the-uk-getting-your-tax-right-p85

If you are already not registered for self assessment, you need to register and obtain a UTR number to enable you to file UK tax returns. You can register for self assessment here

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-not-self-employed

Property income received in the UK is chargeable to UK tax whether you are resident or non-resident in the UK for tax purposes. If you don't wish the property agent to deduct tax at source from rental income you need to register for Non Resident Landlord Scheme and this can be done by completing form NRLi here

https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad/rent

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need moreassistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.