How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7113
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I'm moving to Austrailia and will be renting out my UK

This answer was rated:

hi. I'm moving to Austrailia and will be renting out my UK property. I need to understand how I tell HMRC and what my tax obligations are
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: I cant get a consistent answer
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I am going in Feb but my wife is following in May (split tax years). How do we do self assessment tax forms while away and make sure we continue to do national insurance contributions to preserve pension etc
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: we will be renting our property out in March (hopefully) which will mean we need to do a tax return for 19/20 onwards

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.
Many thanks and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I’ll wait
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please cancel request and do t call
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did not see the charge rate

I was anwering your question when you made a request for phone call.

Do you still want a phone call please?

You need to do a few things for tax purposes..

When you leave or have left the country for Australia, you need to complete Form P85 so that the Tax office can bring your tax affairs up to date. You can complete P85 here

If you are already not registered for self assessment, you need to register and obtain a UTR number to enable you to file UK tax returns. You can register for self assessment here

Property income received in the UK is chargeable to UK tax whether you are resident or non-resident in the UK for tax purposes. If you don't wish the property agent to deduct tax at source from rental income you need to register for Non Resident Landlord Scheme and this can be done by completing form NRLi here

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need moreassistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.