Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

As sole trader not registered for VAT, when claiming trade

As sole trader not registered for VAT, when claiming trade expenses, am I correct in claiming only the amount before VAT was added?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

NO if you are NOT VAT registered then you can claim the gross amount (so amount PLUS VAT) as that is what you are out of pocket by only VAT registered people use the net figure as they claim the VAT back through VAT returns so cannot have that amount gain from self assessment