How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15598
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

As sole trader not registered for VAT, when claiming trade

This answer was rated:

As sole trader not registered for VAT, when claiming trade expenses, am I correct in claiming only the amount before VAT was added?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly


NO if you are NOT VAT registered then you can claim the gross amount (so amount PLUS VAT) as that is what you are out of pocket by only VAT registered people use the net figure as they claim the VAT back through VAT returns so cannot have that amount gain from self assessment



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you