How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15569
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I relocated from Australia back to the UK. As part of the

This answer was rated:

I relocated from Australia back to the UK. As part of the move I transferred the proceeds of the sale of our Primary residency to buy a property in the UK. The money was transferred via an Interactive Brokerage account (based in Australia), and I withdrew the GBP before transferring AUD to GBP. As a result I received AUD interest while paying GBP interest on the negative balance. For my tax return, can I net the GBP interest paid against AUD interest received (as it is in the same multi-asset account) or should I declare the full AUD interest received?
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: 2015 onwards ( I need to submit an offshore disclosure)
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a charge for this service or only if I engage the accountant?
JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: ok

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly


Thanks for your patience

No I am afraid you just declare the Australian interest and any tax suffered on that income - you cannot claim the interest charged on the negative UK balance as that is a personal expense so not available to claim the loss of



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great thanks, ***** ***** what I expected. Bit silly as I made no profit and still paying tax on it.


But you earned interest on when you had it - and then transferred it after it was spent so incurred the charges due to personal reasons but interest is treated as income - negative interest '(loan charges in essence as you the appropriate income to offset it against - for example rental income or other income on which this situation could arise) so its just a personal charge that you cover yourself