How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15081
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have declared my NZ income to HMRC and have paid quite a

Customer Question

I have declared my NZ income to HMRC and have paid quite a bit of tax on it too - as it put ime into the 40% tax bracket in the UK. The tax I pay in NZ is non-resident tax which is quite low. I figues I may be better off paying resident tax in NZ than adding my NZ income to my existing UK income. To this end I would like to find out whether this is possible (e.g. putting my assets into a NZ trust) and how HMRC would respond to this.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 6 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Sam replied 6 days ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Expert:  Sam replied 6 days ago.



This would be viewed as tax avoidance to avoid paying tax - however may I ask

When did you arrive in the UK to live and work?

Does this NZ money come into the UK or get spent in the UK


I can then see if there is another solution





Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I arrived in 1994 to live and work. None of my NZ income comes into the UK nor does it get spent in the UK.
Expert:  Sam replied 6 days ago.


I assume you are declaring the income as you have been here for so many years and to ask for the remittance basis would incur a loss of UK personal allowances and also an annual remittance basic charge which would be greater than the additional tax due but you cannot put this isnot a trust as that would be viewed as tax avoidance


I,m sorry there is no legitimate way to escape this taxation