How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9303
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am employed only but I am a higher rate tax payer, as a

This answer was rated:

I am employed only but I am a higher rate tax payer, as a result i obviously need to fill out a tax return. I repay student loans through my PAYE and this has now finished and I am paid up. Upon preparing my tax return my accountant has included my repayments on the return and it looks like I have to pay tax on the repayments? Is this correct or are they wrong?

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

All student loan repayments are, or should be, taken from your net income. Tax does not come into them at all.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
this is how they have worked it out

I am of the opinion that they are in error.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
should i ask them to take out the student finance secton

That would be my advice. Student loan repayments come out of cash available to you post tax and NI deductions. In essence it comes out of your own pocket.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for yur support.