How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8983
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

We wish to partially surrender an investment bond. Will we

Customer Question

We wish to partially surrender an investment bond. Will we have to pay tax on it?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

This is a complex area and you may be liable to Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on surrender. However, you do have a non cumulative Annual Exempt Amount (AEA), currently 12K, to offset gains.

Have a look here for the complexities in this exercise:

In basic terms 5% of accumukated premuims cann be taken without penalty. If a gain has been made then this is taxable.