bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

We wish to partially surrender an investment bond. Will we

Customer Question

We wish to partially surrender an investment bond. Will we have to pay tax on it?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 6 days ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

This is a complex area and you may be liable to Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on surrender. However, you do have a non cumulative Annual Exempt Amount (AEA), currently 12K, to offset gains.

Have a look here for the complexities in this exercise:

https://www.canadalife.co.uk/adviser/ican-academy/briefing-notes/tax-investments/taking-money-from-a-bond-individual-policy-surrender-or-partial-surrender

In basic terms 5% of accumukated premuims cann be taken without penalty. If a gain has been made then this is taxable.