Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I would like to ask how to file income tax and remittance

Customer Question

i would like to ask how to file income tax and remittance basis claim
JA: Which tax year is this for?
Customer: 2018-2019
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: i want to know how to fill in the form and the meaning of nominating income mentioned in the remittance claim form
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i am having my sabbatical, as visiting scholar in UK. I receive income from my University in my home country and I do not receive any other UK income. I am resident and non-domiciled Uk, so I think I am qualified for Remittance Basis claim. However, I do not knowI where to fill in the amount I remitted to the UK for my living expenses.

2) I also do not understand the meaning of the box 34 in the S109 form (Remittance basis) what does 'Amount of income you are nominating?' is it the amount I remitted to the UK?
Expert:  Sam replied 13 days ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Expert:  Sam replied 13 days ago.

No you cannot claim remittance of you brought in or spent money in the UK from abroad this then has a tax basis under the arising basis but is the amount form the university student loans or bursarys ? if so not liable to UK tax a not income

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you, Sam. I’m resident but non domiciled UK as I’m just spending two years as visiting scholar here in the U.K.. I receive income from my home country institution and remitted some of them and spend here. As I understand, I’m entitled to oversea workday relief, which allows me to claim for foreign income that I remitted to the U.K. I if I claim the Remittance Basis taxation. However, I don’t know where to put in the remitted amount , would it be the nominated amount (Box 34 of form SA109) ? Or the remitted amount is the income under Employment session? (Box 5 in form SA102)

I’m very confused and frustrated. I’d be very grateful if you can help me to figure out. Thank you a lot!
Expert:  Sam replied 13 days ago.

I understand your residency position and what you are asking regarding the remittance but what money do you receive from the university as Im not sure this is taxable income - so why do the university send you money and why do they pay for for accomadation and course ?

Expert:  Sam replied 13 days ago.

see link here to verify this

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/study-in-the-uk

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks Sam for your reply. I’m on my sabbatical so my university in Japan is still paying my income. I remitted them for my accommodation and living expenditure.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My university is paying my income in Japan and I remitted some of them to the U.K. I’m on my own research sabbatical, belonging to a U.K. university but the U.K. university doesn’t pay me.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks, Sam. I’ve read and I’m one of the following

If your income is £2,000 or more
You must report foreign income or gains of £2,000 or more, or any money that you bring to the UK, in a Self Assessment tax return.

You can either:

pay UK tax on them - you may be able to claim it back
claim the ‘remittance basis’
Expert:  Sam replied 13 days ago.

This is NOT Income and you do NOT need to declare this see the link I provided above

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry, but why don’t I need to declare? Because I am U.K. resident and liable to pay income tax I think... so the amount I remitted isn’t my foreign income?
Expert:  Sam replied 13 days ago.

Its not income it is assistance with fees etc so NOT Liable to UK tax - did you even read the link I sent you explaining that is its not liable to tax?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks, Sam. I’ve read again the link you sent me but I am NOT a student here.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Let me read carefully again, thank you!
Expert:  Sam replied 13 days ago.

Hi you said you are a scholar on a sabbatical so whats that then ?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It is a kind of paid leave from my home country institution for researching purpose. That meant I am still employed by my home country institution and I am not student status in terms of visa and U.K. university. My visa is academic visitor.
Expert:  Sam replied 13 days ago.

then I shall opt out

Expert:  oleksandrav-mod replied 10 days ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Oleksandra-Moderator
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks, I can wait but I’m on my trial membership and wonder if I can get my answer in the due date (18/2) thanks!