How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9281
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I will soon start a job which will involve a lot of overseas

Customer Question

Hi, I will soon start a job which will involve a lot of overseas travel and I have read about OSRs. Could you confirm if every company can use OSRs please? I have been informed by my employer that regardless of the country, I can only be paid £35 per day due to HMRC restrictions and that I must pay Tax / NI on any expenditure above £35. Would you be able to advise please?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No, not yet
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at the moment, thank you, Pearl
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

What do you mean by OSRs?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your response. Sorry, I should have written Overseas Scale Rates.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 7 months ago.

Well just out of interest I have had a look at Thailand, my wife is Thai. You would be had pressed to manage on 4000 baht a day!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Great, thanks, ***** ***** you confirm if my company has to allow me to use the Overseas Scale Rates please?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 7 months ago.

They don't have to, but would be ill advised not to accept the guidance.