How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9296
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a citizen of Republic of Ireland. I'm aware of the

This answer was rated:

I am a citizen of Republic of Ireland. I'm aware of the joint/mutual treaty between UK and Ireland called "Common Area Travel Agreement" which allows Irish citizens to freely travel in UK, but also live there without restriction, purchase property, work, earn pensions, etc. I have a question about my spouse, legally married. He is a US citizen. Can you help with a further question?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No. Need a specialist to answer due to our unusual circumstances.
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: The rest of the information you'll need is that we are both retired and all income is from pensions and investments in the USA where we live now. Hoping to make use of the Common Area Travel Agreement to immigrate to the UK and have rights to live there permanently, but we also must know the taxes we will be required by UK to pay.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

If you are resident in the UK you will be liable to UK taxation on your world wide income. You will have to rely on the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and the States, which precludes the same income stream being taxed in both jurisdictions, for protection.

This is achieved my means of tax credits, the tax paid in the States being allowed as a tax credit against your UK liability.

bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Since ALL of our income is from US sources, do we first figure out our "adjusted" gross incomes, pay the US taxes (federal and state) based on that, then does the UK accept the same "adjusted" gross figure ...OR does the UK want our actual gross incomes first?

You will have to declare teh actual gross incomes and also the tax paid thereon in the States.

Thank you for your kind bonus too.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thanks. NOW I need to find a knowledgeable consultant like you who specialises in immigration issues. I need to confirm what I understand to be UK policy, especially as it comes to non-Irish spouses of Irish citizens wanting to immigrate to the UK. Any ideas?

Although I have a Thai wife who is long since British this is not my area of expertise, sorry.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I note that your website lists a telephone number in the Republic of Ireland. Does this mean that you have a branch office there or perhaps an Irish expert on staff in your UK offices?

There may well be Irish experts available to Just Answer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Back to the UK subject now. You have given us good information on UK tax. If we want to pursue this idea, first we have to settle the immigration questions for me and especially my US citizen spouse. If we are coming to the UK, we would like to consult a tax preparer, bring all of our documents proving income, and get a fine bead on our tax questions. Could you refer us?

Sorry, Just Answer protocol does not allow this, I will opt out and hope one of my colleagues may be able to assist you.