taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

My wife is doing her business accounts. I help to find her

My wife is doing her business accounts. I help to find her expenses as I earn more from my own separate business (I’m a 45% tax payer). Can she still claim expenses on her tax return that I have helped contribute towards?
JA: For which tax year do you need help?
Customer: 2018/19
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

The normal rule is for expenses and cost to be allowable for tax purposes, they have to be incurred wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the business. The fact that you have funded these expenses for your wife are secondary. You can treat the funding as long term long never to be repaid.

I see no reason why she can't claim them if they meet the normal rule.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.