Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I'm a UK Resident and have been living in the UK since 2011.

Customer Question

Hello. I'm a UK Resident and have been living in the UK since 2011. I'm originally from NZ and have returned home to live since Dec 2019. I'm a PAYE Contractor contracted to my employer in the UK. I have a contract upto the 31/03 and am a UK Tax Resident for the 2019/20 year. I won't be returning to the UK and won't be a tax Resident for the 2020/21 year. Can I still work for my employer and what Tax Code do I need to change to?
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: I'm fine for filing for 2019/20.....my question is more for the employer and my Tax Residency status
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope that's all fine thanks. Is this a free service?
Expert:  Sam replied 18 days ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok thanks Sam. I'm contracting to a Bank through an Agency so they basically want to know if I'm still ok to have my Contract extended into the next Tax year as I won't be a UK Tax Resident for 2020/21
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Are you saying it's going to cost me £44 to get my question answered?
Expert:  Sam replied 18 days ago.

If you complete form P85 then HMRC could have arranged you you to be no tax under PAYE for the time from when you left to the end of this contract

However you state you have an employer then state you are a contractor so if you are an employee and have tax and National Insurance deducted from your pay - then you will now have to ait until after 05/04/2020 (end of the tax year) to get any refund so complete form P85 - link here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-leaving-the-uk-getting-your-tax-right-p85

Yes of course its fine to have your contract extended - they just have to adhere to the legislation for non residents - operate the tax code HMRC send (which from DEc 2019 to 05/04/2020 will be tax free and from 06/04/2020 onward will be tax free as long as you spen less than 90 days in the UK and none are fort work purposes)

The £44 is if you want a phone call

Expert:  Sam replied 18 days ago.

Do dont say yes to a phone call

Expert:  Sam replied 18 days ago.

also you need to be ware that although you will be tax free from Dec 2019 you will continue to pay national Insurance for 52 weeks so through to Dec 2020

And will have to complete a self assessment tax return after each 5th April

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok great thanks Sam tat's very helpful. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Sam replied 18 days ago.

You are very welcome and if you need any further assistance please do ask - or, if you have all that you need, it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of support I have provided (or click accept)