How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8071
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My sister-in-law has lived in the USA for 26 years and has

This answer was rated:

My sister-in-law has lived in the USA for 26 years and has not been tax resident in the UK for that time. She decided to come back to the UK and to avoid any tax complications she was coming back on the 8th April. Because of the Coronavirus and the advice given by the UK Government to British Citizens to get back to the UK asap she has changed her flight to arrive on the 5th April. Will this mean that HMRC might levy UK tax on her US earnings for 19/20 even though she was following Dominic Raab's advice?
JA: For which tax year do you need advice?
Customer: 19/20
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: She is a UK Citizen

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.


HMRC would not be able to do this. On her arrival in the UK the split year principle would apply and the 19/20 tax year divided into two parts, one non resident and the other resident. The two parts would be 6 April 2019 to 4 April 2020 (non resident) and 5 April 2020 (resident).



bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.