TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am a Contractor in the UK, working through an Umbrella

I am a Contractor in the UK, working through an Umbrella company,Am i self employed or employed?
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I Recently was a contractor but working through my own ltd company, but due to IR35 i had to change to an umbrella company and not allowed to use my ltd company anymore
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Even though IR35 has been delayed they are sticking with umbrella rules
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
the reason im asking im wondering what help i get of gov due to covid19 as im now not working but i switched from ltd to umbrella on march 1st.

If im employed then the umbrella company could claim 80% of the pay but i have no idea as they have 'paused' my contract due to covid19 and need a little financial help

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

An umbrella company is a company that employs agency contractors who work on temporary contract assignments, usually through a recruitment agency in the United Kingdom.

You are employed

Check here for assistance offered https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-guidance-for-employees

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
my only concern was that my money comes from my end client not my employer,

the end client pays my agency, who then pay my umbrella company, who them pay me.

im left with the chunk at the end when they all take a cut.

if the end client dont need me then there is no income so therefore the umbrella company cant claim the 80%
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
so the way i see it is if the end client decides not to continue due to covid then i wont get 80% as ill technically be unemployed

Yes but considered an employee. Start with the site I gave you

TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience: International tax
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
ok thanks