How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8480
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

If I sell an EIS investment (held for over 3 years) at a

This answer was rated:

If I sell an EIS investment (held for over 3 years) at a loss, can I claim relief against income tax or will it be a capital loss ? The company is performing poorly but is not being liquidated.
JA: What are the assets or property for this capital loss?
Customer: EIS shares in a manufacturing company
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

EIS investment carries a high risk so instead of capital loss relief a loss on an EIS investment can be used to offset income tax. You will appreciate that if you are a higher rate tax payer this would be beneficial.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for a quick response. I just need to clarify that the company isn't being closed so the shares still have a value. Can i still offset against income tax ? I always thought EIS investments had to close down in order to claim the tax relief against income.

No, you can sell them too.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you