How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8530
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am a non resident looking to start a company in the UK,

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I am a non resident looking to start a company in the UK
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have questions specifically about VAT and TAX
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I am one ofthe experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

What is your problem?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am currently a resident outside of the UK and this has been the case for the past few years 3+, I am thinking to set up a company in the UK, offering online live lectures (interactive lessons these are) to students who are residents outside of the UK. So the company owner and direcor (this isme, a British national, also dual, and living outside of the UK), and a service being offered online (yet not considered as part of digital services since the online classrooms are offering interactive live lessons). In this case, in relation to taxation, first of all what taxes is the company liable for, to my understanding it will be paying corporate tax of 19%? and it will be exempt from VAT due to not being a "digital service", can you confirm firstly if this is the case? secondly me personally being a non-resident am i exempt from tax in the UK? thank you.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 17 days ago.

Your services will be exempt from VAT and your thoughts on Corporation Tax (CT) are correct.

When you left the UK did you send a Form P85 to your tax office?