Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am a non resident looking to start a company in the UK,

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I am a non resident looking to start a company in the UK
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have questions specifically about VAT and TAX
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I am one ofthe experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

What is your problem?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am currently a resident outside of the UK and this has been the case for the past few years 3+, I am thinking to set up a company in the UK, offering online live lectures (interactive lessons these are) to students who are residents outside of the UK. So the company owner and direcor (this isme, a British national, also dual, and living outside of the UK), and a service being offered online (yet not considered as part of digital services since the online classrooms are offering interactive live lessons). In this case, in relation to taxation, first of all what taxes is the company liable for, to my understanding it will be paying corporate tax of 19%? and it will be exempt from VAT due to not being a "digital service", can you confirm firstly if this is the case? secondly me personally being a non-resident am i exempt from tax in the UK? thank you.

Your services will be exempt from VAT and your thoughts on Corporation Tax (CT) are correct.

When you left the UK did you send a Form P85 to your tax office?