taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Been working in Kuwait for 10 years and now are returning

Been working in Kuwait for 10 years and now are returning home for good am I liable for any tax

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

If you have been working abroad for past 10 years, I am presuming you are non-resident in the UK for tax purposes.

That being the case, you would become resident here when you move in for good. In the current tax year, you can claim split year treatment. This means any income you had abroad before coming to the UK would not be chargeable to UK tax. You would be taxed on income arising from the date you arrive in the UK.Prior period would be deemed non-resident.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
what do I need to do once back in uk as was not going to claim unemployment as would not be intitled to any thing as wife works more than 16 hours

Thank you for your reply.

If you start self employment you would have to register for self assessment and obtain a UTR (unique taxpayer reference) number (incase you don't already have one ...its 10 digit long e.g. 12345 67890) so you can file a tax return online.

If you start a job, your employer would request the tax office for a tax code for you so your earnings are correctly taxed at source.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
you are saying if come home now and don’t claim unemployment I do not have to do anything until I get a job

Thank you for your reply.

If you decide not to do anything and live on your savings for a while, then you notify HMRC when you start earning money.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.