How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6845
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

How do I determine that I am a non resident for tax purposes

This answer was rated:

How do I determine that I am a non resident for tax purposes

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.
Many thanks

Thank you for your question.

Please advise

- do you live in the UK

- if not, when did you leave the UK for overeseas appointment

- do you have ties in the UK e.g. family, property, work

- do many days in a tax year do you spend in the UK

Many thanks

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Lived in Kuwait for last ten years, left for work in May 2010, have family and property in uk, spent about 25 days per year

Thank you for your reply.

You have two ties in the UK and you spend less than 45 days in the UK per year.

Per HMRC Statutory Residence Test, you can spend up to 90 days a year and are deemed as non resident.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.